Western Lake Superior Habitat for Humanity (WLSHFH) builds homes in partnership with qualifying partner families and the community, and then sells the homes at no profit with zero percent interest mortgages to partnering families. Ready to learn about the process of becoming a Habitat homeowner?
Step 1: Are you ready for homeownership?
- Take a look at the "Are you ready" page. This page highlights the challenges and opportunities present by owning your own home and will help determine if you are ready for homeownership.
Step 2: Eligibility Requirments and Selection Criteria
WLSHFH will look at three distinct area of selection criteria when reviewing potential partners.
- Your family’s actual housing need based on the suitability of your current shelter.
- Your current income and ability to pay for a Habitat house. See guidelines here.
- Your willingness to participate as a “Partner” with Habitat, contributing a minimum of 200 hours working on projects. This includes completing construction on the home, attending homebuyer classes & fundraisers, talking to the press and maintaining the home once you move in.
You also must:
- Attend a mandatory homebuyer orientation, see upcoming orientation dates here.
- Have lived in Lake County, MN; Southern St. Louis County, MN; Carlton County, MN or Douglas County, WI for at least 1 year prior to applying for a Habitat home.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.